MIS604 Requirement Engineering
|Subject Code and Title||MIS604 Requirement Engineering|
|Assessment||Requirements Elicitation Report|
|Length||1500 words (+/- 10%)|
|Learning Outcomes||The Subject Learning Outcomes demonstrated by successful completion of the task below include: Demonstrate methods for eliciting, analysing, documenting, and maintaining requirements in an organisational context. Synthesise essential requirements management principles and communicate to stakeholders to solve problems.|
|Submission||By 11:55 pm AEST/AEDT Sunday end of Week 4/Module 2.2 For Intensive class: By 11:55 pm AEST/AEDT Sunday end of Week 2/Module 2.2|
|Total Marks||100 marks|
This Assessment requires you to respond to a case study. The same case study will be used for all three assessments so that you can develop insights into the different facets of Requirements Engineering.
For this assessment, you are required to produce an individual report of 1500 words (+/-10%) detailing a requirements elicitation plan for the case organisation. The report should contain the following:
- Strategic Analysis
- A Stakeholder Engagement Plan
- An Elicitation Activity Plan
Please refer to the Instructions for details on how to complete this task.
Business Analysts (BA) work with organisations to improve organisational processes and systems. BA also participate to analyse, develop, execute, and evaluate organizational IT strategy. One of the most important parts of a BA job is to elicit requirements from stakeholders so that there is a clear understanding of what will be required from the new system. This requires a BA to understand who their stakeholders are, how to engage with them and which elicitation methods to use. This assessment aims to develop your knowledge and skills in these areas and to lay down the foundation of knowledge for your future professional practice.
- Please read the case study and make assumptions wherever needed.
- Based on the given case study, you are required to write 1500 words (+/-10%) Requirements Elicitation Report.
- Review your subject notes to establish the relevant area of investigation that applies to the case. Re- read any relevant readings for Module 1 and 2 for this subject. Perform additional research where necessary.
- Plan how you will structure your ideas for your report and write a report plan before you start writing.
- The report DOES NOT require an executive summary or abstract.
- Structure of the Report
A professional custom title page with the subject code and subject name, assignment title, student’s name, student number and lecturer’s name
Table of contents-MIS604 Requirement Engineering
An introduction (100-150 words)
which will also serve as your statement of purpose for the report. This means that you will tell the reader what you are going to cover in your report. You will need to inform the reader of:
- The key concepts you will be addressing,
- What the reader can expect to find in the body of the report
The body of the report (1200-1300 words) will need to cover three specific areas reflecting the given case study:
A. Strategic analysis
- As part of external environment analysis, use PESTEL framework to understand the broad environment and identify five (05) key factors that might impact the organization, as well as the proposed application.
- Identify one (01) critical success factors (CSFs) and three (03) corresponding key performance indicators (KPIs) for strategy evaluation.
B. Stakeholder Engagement Plan
This part will include the followings:
- List of stakeholders, with type (e.g., internal, external). Please document using the following template:
- Power and interest of stakeholders mapped on a Power/Interest (P/I) Grid or matrix
C. Elicitation Activity Plan
Select four (04) elicitation techniques. For each technique, answer the following:
- Justify why each elicitation technique has been selected
- Provide a customized example of each elicitation activity process (preparation, conducting the session, concluding the results), including which stakeholders will be involved.
- The conclusion (100-150 words) will summarise any findings or recommendations that the report puts forward regarding the concepts covered in the report.
- Reference list
- Appendix (if required)
- Report Format and Layout
- The report should use font Arial or Calibri 11 point, should be line spaced at 1.5 for ease of reading and page numbers on the bottom of each page.
- Diagrams and tables must carry the appropriate captioning (numbering, name, and source).
- If diagrams or tables are used, please follow APA 7 guideline for the same.
7. Report Format and Layout
The report should use font Arial or Calibri 11 point, should be line spaced at 1.5 for ease of reading and page numbers on the bottom of each page.
Diagrams and tables must carry the appropriate captioning (numbering, name, and source).
If diagrams or tables are used, please follow APA 7 guideline for the same.
Due attention should be given to pagination to avoid loss of meaning and continuity by unnecessarily splitting information over two pages.
8. Assessment rubric
You are strongly advised to read the rubric which is an evaluation guide with criteria for grading the assignment. This will give you a clear picture of what a successful report looks like.
There are requirements for referencing this report using APA 7 referencing style/guideline. It is expected that students reference list must include minimum five (05) items from essential (at least two (02)) and additional resources in the relevant subject area based on readings and further research. All references should accompany DOI or source link.
It is essential that you use appropriate APA 7 guideline for citing and referencing research. Please see more information on referencing in the Academic Skills webpage.
Submission Instructions-MIS604 Requirement Engineering
Graded submission – Individual submission
The assessment need to be submitted in Microsoft word (.docx) format. Any other formats will not be accepted. Submit Assessment 1 via the Assessment link in the main navigation menu in MIS604 Requirements Engineering. The Learning Facilitator will provide feedback via the Grade Centre in the LMS portal. Feedback can be viewed in My Grades.
When submitting their assessment task, students will be asked to declare the academic integrity of their assessment by completing and signing an assignment cover sheet. You can find the assignment cover sheet here.
All students are responsible for ensuring that all work submitted is their own and is appropriately referenced and academically written according to the Academic Writing Guide. Students also need to have read and be aware of Torrens University Australia Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure and subsequent penalties for academic misconduct. These are viewable online.
Students also must keep a copy of all submitted material and any assessment drafts.
Special Consideration-MIS604 Requirement Engineering
To apply for special consideration for a modification to an assessment or exam due to unexpected or extenuating circumstances, please consult the Assessment Policy for Higher Education Coursework and ELICOS and, if applicable to your circumstance, submit a completed Application for Assessment Special Consideration Form to your Learning Facilitator.